And the winner is…
The Cotati Historical Society launched a unique contest leading up to the city’s 50th Anniversary Celebration with a History Hunt. Three dozen downtown properties participated by displaying pictures from the past so people could take a walking tour into the city’s 120-year history.
Out of the more than 40 entrants, 11 people answered all of the questions correctly. The top three with their prizes were:
• Karen Castelli Hanahan, dinner for 10 by the Pasta King, Art Ibleto
• Reta and Gary Santero, Hyatt Hotel getaway by Cotati Gravenstein Travel
• John Allred, $120 deluxe bicycle tune-up by Hub Cyclery
Other perfect scorers will receive certificates as authentic Cotati History Buffs
• Deanna Issel
• Kellan Arnold
• Emily Harris
• Gary and Kim Martin
• Kelly and Lori Smith
Here is the complete quiz along with the correct answers in bold. Some of the questions have more than one correct answer.
1. Mi Ranchito restaurant stands where there was formerly a?
a) livery stable b) gladiola garden c) bar
2. The Crossroads Center where A Classic Barber/The Jelly Donut/Friendly City Tattoo/
Korean Bear Restaurant/and Mike @ the Crossroads reside, was formerly a?
a) dance studio b) mattress factory c) plant nursery
3. The Downtown Garage/ Hub Cyclery/Apartment complex used to be a?
a) paint factory b) motor court c) auto parts store
4. Joel & Ron’s Harmony Garage/Loud & Clear Music/Amazing Records/Zone Recording
Studio building once housed a?
a) lumber yard b) glass company c) cafe
5. The Grapevine Shopping Center, where Marvin’s and China Chef Restaurants reside,
was once the site of a?
a) dentist office b) gas station c) bakery
6 . Papa Murphy’s was once a?
a) veterinarian b) post office c) newspaper office
7. The building now housing Risk Management Service/Mulligan Realty/Aims
Acclamation Insurance Management Services/Body Mechanics Healing Center was in
a) restaurant b) Odd Fellows Hall c) real estate office
8. Rancho Realtors was once the home of Cotati’s:
a) postmaster b) librarian c) fireman
9. Cotati Gravenstein Travel was formerly a?
a) beauty shop b) library c) jewel
10. Arch’s Glass/Miller’s Driving School building was formerly a?
a) garage b) record shop c) feed store
11.The Cotati Yacht Club/Galley Restaurant/Cotati Barber Shop/Nailz & Co./Medi-Cann
building stands where what used to be?
a) frame shop b) coffee shop c) general store
12. The building at 70 W Cotati Avenue was once a?
a) music shop b) incubator factory c) bicycle shop
13. La Plaza Veterinary Clinic is in the building that was formerly a?
a) gym b) pharmacy c) barber shop
14. SaSee Salon/Family Dentist complex once housed a?
a) doctor b) seamstress c) gift shop
15. Dos Amigos Restaurant was once a?
a) blacksmith b) shoe store c) bar
16. Spanckys/Friar Tuck’s/Sandalady building was formerly a?
a) co-op food store b) restaurant c) night club
17. A Cut Above/Cotati Coffee/Shige building used to be a?
a) craft shop b) bakery c) unknown
18. Hines Signs used to be a?
a) gas station b) newsstand c) auto repair
19. Cotati Market was once a?
a) five & dime b) grocery store c) blacksmith
20. L.V. Flowers was once a?
a) veterinarian b) butcher shop c) dry cleaner
21. Songbird Community Healing Center/Tattoos by J & D was formerly a?
a) photolab b) shoe store c) alternative school
22.The 8-Ball was once a?
a) stage coach stop b) millinery shop c) bar
23. Tama-Rama’s used to be a?
a) bank b) feed store c) bus depot
24. Redwood Cafe used to house a?
a) butcher b) movie house c) lumber/hardware store
25. Tiny-Thai/Ferrari Salon building was formerly a?
a) real estate office b) pet store c) family counselor
26.Cafe Salsa was once was a?
a) dry cleaner b) coffee shop c) sign shop
27. Exchange Bank used to be a?
a) dance studio b) bank c) hatchery
28. Knimble Clothing and Knicknack/Brixx Cotati & The Tradewinds building was once a?
a) paint factory b) flower market c) automotive/airplane dealer
29. Professional Framing has been?
a) an optometrist b) a residence c) a butcher shop
30. Out On A Whim/Marc Mezzetta’s Deli stands where what used to be?
a) barber shop/bar b) yarn shop c) stable
31. Congregation Ner Shalom has been a?
a) community club b) cabaret c) answering service
For questions regarding the contest or more information, please contact the CHS Board Secretary, Marie McNaughton at 529-0734.